Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lots of salads!

Lots and lots of salad being eaten around here. I still have a whole lot of greens left from last week's box and I'm trying not to panic. A whole box is really too big for a 2 person household, especially early in the season when the bulk of the box is filled with greens.

So, I'm going to do a little recap to assess what I used and what is left to be used by...tomorrow.

Asparagus: Steamed these up right away on the night I got the CSA box.



Green garlic: Chopped these up for a marinade for chicken. It was a honey teriyaki baked chicken and the sauce contained rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, green garlic...I think that's it for ingredients.

Egyptian Walking onion: Fun! I used these the same as I would for scallions. Can't remember right now which recipe or meal that they were used in. Isn't it strange that I can't remember what i cooked just last Thursday. Oh wait! Just remembered: I chopped up these egyptian walking onions and put them on Friday night's pizza.

Parsnip: I left these in the swap box. I hope someone got to enjoy them!

Sunchoke: Haven't cooked these yet. Considering HVF suggestion of baking them into a gratin.

Spinach: I had planned to have a spinach salad but I'm still working through the salad mix.

Spring radish: Yummy! I was hoping to have these available for two salads, but hubby started eating them off the cutting board, so i ended up slicing the whole batch.



Salad mix or Arugula: Lots and lots of salad with some pretty purple flowers mixed in!

Rhubarb: Chopped it up and froze it for later use in a crisp.

Sauté Mix: Haven't gotten to these greens yet. These may end up in the compost bin. For shame!!!

Ramps: HVF claims this is the last week for ramps until next spring. I haven't cooked them up yet mainly because last week's risotto was such a disaster. I'm skittish with trying something again if the last time it was prepared was not so good. I have to get over that.

Garden Herb Packs: Yah! Basil plants! I put these in a pot on my back step, the door closest to my kitchen.

Memorial Day weekend really through me off. I forgot all the greens in the city. I had lots of berries but not any green stuff. I have a lot of catching up to do!

2 comments:

Lee said...

Excellent post and pictures! I'm feeling the same way about my Harmony Valley box (I'm picking it up tonight). Thanks for the post.

lotus said...

Thanks, Lee! I have a pick up today, too! And am steadily getting over my panic with a dinner party in mind - a change to cook up all those greens!
Peace,
lotus